Orange DVD question

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

yamyam

Orange DVD question

Post by yamyam »

This project is really exciting! :D

Question: Will the orange dvd be only released with PAL format? No plan with NTSC? I can't find any information about it...
Thank you.

SamAdam

Re: Orange DVD question

Post by SamAdam »

yamyam wrote:This project is really exciting! :D

Question: Will the orange dvd be only released with PAL format? No plan with NTSC? I can't find any information about it...
Thank you.
i am sure it will be released in ntsc, if only because of the USA blender users.

yamyam

Re: Orange DVD question

Post by yamyam »

SamAdam wrote:i am sure it will be released in ntsc, if only because of the USA blender users.
Ok, you're right. ;)

BTW, The 10 years DVD will be only released with PAL (Of course, because most of materials for it use PAL format though).
It would be wrong to compare these two DVDs, but I think it's hard to buy the DVD for some of peoples(incl. me) if there is no information about it.

B@rt

Post by B@rt »

Here's a reply that I received from Ton today:

---

Hi,

We render at film resolution, and 24 frs/sec, film speed. For best quality pictures we put that in PAL format on the dvd. We've been told
most modern(ntsc) dvd players will nicely play it, but we'll investigate the issue. If its a big problem we make a NTSC disk too.

-Ton-

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain »

I know that my US PS2 won't play non-NTSC discs. my ps2 is my only dvd player besides my computer... but its no fun to watch on my monitor when I have an HDTV and surround sound system. :(

Desoto

Post by Desoto »

Hey Ton,

I also have a non-PAL DVD player and its very important to me that I be able to showcase this DVD to other Americans who may or may not be able to play it on their DVD players as well. They *all* have NTSC players... but whether or not its PAL compatible is always hard to say.

It would mean a great deal to me if the team released an NTSC version. I've already pre-ordered my copy, and that was before I found out it was supposed to be PAL. So imagine my disappointment.

Please consider this request on behalf of everyone who doesn't have the hardware to play PAL DVD's in their home players. PC's just don't cut it for wide-screen DVD's with a score composed especially for the film.

Good luck on the project and thanks for everything!

Regards,
--Chris

yamyam

Post by yamyam »

Thank you B@rt and ton for quick reply!

In Japan, many people have a DVD player(incl. PS2) or recorder, but unfortunately, most of these have no ability to play PAL Disk...So we'll need to buy another PAL playable DVD player or PAL to NTSC converter to see the Orange DVD...It's bit hard.

OK, PC is available, but I want to show others it and say, "Blender can make great animation like this!", but I can't bring my desktop PC anywhere! :wink:

Please consider about this.

Regards,

joeri

Post by joeri »

Hi,

I'm currently on vacantion in Hawaii.
I just bought a vulcano dvd. Great stuff. It didn't say if it's PAL or NTSC. I asked the counter lady and she didn't know. But,... here it comes...
It plays great on my little PAL dvd player I brought with me (yes it's PAL because when I hook it up to a tv it's all b&w).

So,... I'll look into it some more when I get home, it should be possible to make a dvd that's ntsc & pal compatible,... I'm sure I'm going to make it region free, that's should be the biggest obstical in playback anyway.

more later.....

yamyam

Post by yamyam »

Thank you, joeri!!
Have a nice vacation! :D

erwin

no pal playback in japan

Post by erwin »

I married Japan, and had to make my wedding dvd in both PAL and NTSC. It was a bit of a pain (**), so I hope you do an NTSC version too.

** this video conversion due to Japanese PAL incompatibiity, not my wedding ;-)

JoOngle

Re: no pal playback in japan

Post by JoOngle »

erwin wrote:I married Japan, and had to make my wedding dvd in both PAL and NTSC. It was a bit of a pain (**), so I hope you do an NTSC version too.

** this video conversion due to Japanese PAL incompatibiity, not my wedding ;-)
You married Japan? :shock:

yamyam

Re: no pal playback in japan

Post by yamyam »

erwin wrote:** this video conversion due to Japanese PAL incompatibiity, not my wedding ;-)
8)

BTW. I've found a DVD FAQ page that include about NTSC/PAL system and these players.
http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.19
NTSC discs (with Dolby Digital audio) play on over 95% of DVD systems worldwide. PAL discs play on very few players outside of PAL countries.
If it's true, for Worldwide use, Is releasing NTSC disks better than PAL?
In fact, I have no PAL players, so I don't know any problems or risks to play a NTSC disk on PAL players though...

Regards,

ton
Site Admin

Post by ton »

I've googled around on the ntsc/pal dvd topic, and the situation seems to be quite bad yes...

- almost all PAL players support NTSC
- but hardly no NTSC player does PAL...

It seems to be even not possible to have both on one disk side... so we might have to make 2 DVDs, one for NTSC and one for PAL players (and use both of them to stuff with the data). Or a double sided one... but thats not pretty looking. Want a nice print on the disk. :)

Joeri is our DVD expert though, will discuss it with him when he's back. We can still author it all in PAL (like menus, docu etc) and convert to NTSC.

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

yamyam

Post by yamyam »

Thank you, ton!
I hope you'll find a solution of this problem with the guru joeri...Of course, succeed the Orange project too! ;-)

Regards,

cekuhnen

Post by cekuhnen »

hi ton

i made the experience that converting pal to ntsc produces not as good results as when you just render the movie directly into pal and ntsc.

we compared few high quality test conversions here at the Bowling Green
State University.

claas