Dang... virus copied to GameKit CDROM...

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ton
Site Admin

Dang... virus copied to GameKit CDROM...

Post by ton » Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:22 pm

No panic! using the CDROM what it was meant for, browsing with Blender to load .blend files, textures and sounds, is perfectly safe.

The files that meant to be at the GameKit CDROM are all OK. But one file extra slipped in... a 'news message' with an attachment that contains the Nimda virus.
Browsing the default HTML pages at the disk is risk free. Also when you are virus-aware (never allow mail attachments to execute!) you won't get harmed by this file.

The file is at the CDROM: \Tutorials\Assets\BlenderBall\samples\bots.nws

Do not click or double-click the file, nor allow it to execute its attachment!

If you prefer to copy the data to your hard-drive, use Blender to remove the file: press F1 in Blender to open the file window, browse to the infected file, select it with a Rightmouse click, and press R (at your keyboard) and ENTER.

Nimda is highly infectious, it doesn't remove files or damage the disk, but attempts to break security in your system. Modern virus scanners will detect and remove it. A free anti-Nimda program can be obtained at Symantek.
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/d ... .tool.html

More about the virus:
http://www.sans.org/rr/malicious/nimda2.php
http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2001-26.html

Of course I feel like an idiot that I didn't check the CDROM contents before duplicating it... my sincere apologies for the situation. Hopefully no damage has happened...

-Ton-

(This info will be mailed to the gamekit owners, and we'll put an inlay with warning in the book as well...)[/b]
Last edited by ton on Wed Apr 09, 2003 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowy_duck

Post by snowy_duck » Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:26 pm

darn i just ordered one like 4 days ago

joeri

Post by joeri » Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:46 pm

Oops, in a blenderball dir..?. :oops:
That's an easter egg you don't wanna find.

-Joeri

dreamsgate

Post by dreamsgate » Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:00 am

Well since I have an extremely bad habit of only reading tutorials and not actually doing them, it's no big problem. :D

Not to worry Ton, it happens to the best of us.

IngieBee

Post by IngieBee » Sun Jan 12, 2003 10:02 pm

Oh, shoot, that's not good advertisement :P I know you were rushing to get it out, it means so much to the foundation to have this gamekit sell. I hope it doesn't effect the sales :?

I got mine, looks fine (you were talking about the cover not fitting right, I can't tell?)

Anyway, thanks for the heads up, I might have trusted the contents :cry: had I gone there :shock: (I haven't though (need a "Whew!" face :wink: )

I'm just glad Blender Foundation is moving forward and surviving, next we need to thrive.

Thanks for everything Ton, Love Ingie

tHe-IcemAn

Re: Dang... virus copied to GameKit CDROM...

Post by tHe-IcemAn » Sat Jan 25, 2003 4:09 pm

ton wrote: (This info will be mailed to the gamekit owners, and we'll put an inlay with warning in the book as well...)[/b]
The responsible thing to do would be to throw away all unshipped CD's and remake them virus free. A recall should be sent out offering free replacement. Email attachments like Nimda can autoexecute un upatched systems, there is no need to launch the attachment. Sending out CD's that have a known virus on them is irresponsible. People could use your CD in a malicious way to infect systems.

cessen

Post by cessen » Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:14 pm

I agree with IcemAn on this one, Ton. You should *at least* not ship out CD's with the virus on them, and instead ship out new CD's without the virus.

A recall could be troublesome, but it would be the right thing to do... you should probably send customers a letter offering to replace the CD with a virus-free CD at no charge.

Recall

Post by Recall » Fri Feb 21, 2003 6:19 pm

It seems like I am the only one reading this... TO LATE!!!
:x :oops:

joeri

Post by joeri » Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:05 pm

As stated the gamekit has got a virus.
The tip "No panic! using the CDROM what it was meant for, browsing with Blender to load .blend files, textures and sounds, is perfectly safe." does not fix the broken filenames on the disc.

Luckaly this is easely fixed.

Download theBlender GameKit Fix(41 kb zip) for windows.
It will make a copy of all the save files and fix wrong filenames.
Burn a cd of that copy and put the original cd back in the book as backup.

Sorry that I removed the file, but it's there again.

More about blender on http://blender.excellentWhale.com
-Joeri
Last edited by joeri on Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

fateswarm

Too rude

Post by fateswarm » Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:39 am

Some people are too rude here IMO. Maybe it's not at all easy to "just make other copies". Maybe it costed a fortune to make these cds and now it is important to make a use of them.

And maybe, it is easy to avoid that file and not open it, YOU KNOW ABOUT IT for god's sake.

joeri

Post by joeri » Sat Mar 22, 2003 3:18 pm

I know I can be rude (and love to) but for now you are missing the point here fateswarm.
So I'll try again:

I'm offering a solution for people who own the BlenderGameKit Cd to make a safe copy of their disc.
It copies all the safe files and fixes the wrong filenames.
(/me wonders how fateswarm will use an image.tg file on windows, by avoiding clicking on it? And how will god help him with that ? You don't own a gamekit cd do you?)
I'd love to help the linux people too, but I don't use linux,.
If someone wants to write a copyscript or so, I can help with a list of filenames that need correction.

-Joeri
Last edited by joeri on Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

martin2

Re: Dang... virus copied to GameKit CDROM...

Post by martin2 » Thu Jul 03, 2003 11:36 am

Hi!

I just got the book one day ago. I think its well done. But the virus on the CD is not tolerable. Please give me any solution to remove it or send me a new one. I dont want to work with it like that. :oops: :oops: :oops: I tried joeris link. But it does not work

Thanx

Martin2

danifou

Post by danifou » Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:35 pm

martin2, where did you get your CD ?
Did you miss ton's post (June 11th) regarding the US-edition that is virus free ?

No virus on my CD tha was purchase trough Amazon.ca (from No Starch Press). The file was erase ...

The solution proposed is a good one if you have a CD-burner. Make a copy of your CD onto your HD, find and delete the file and burn a copy or don't open the file.

I don't think they will go about replacing every infected CD with a new one ...

danifou
Ottawa, Canada

martin2

Post by martin2 » Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:51 am

thanx danifou!!
I´m from germany. Maybe only the Europe edition has a virus. Do you think the virus makes no problems, if I copy the CD to my HD?? Which are the bad files??

Martin2

Michel
Location: Somewhere below the rivers in Holland (but not Limburg)

Post by Michel » Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:53 am

martin2 wrote:thanx danifou!!
I´m from germany. Maybe only the Europe edition has a virus. Do you think the virus makes no problems, if I copy the CD to my HD?? Which are the bad files??

Martin2
Martin,

please read the original post at the top of the page.

With regards,
Michel