BF Windows 2006/03/26

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

lguillaume

BF Windows 2006/03/26

Post by lguillaume »

Hello new compilation with a little patch I made:
When you add a mesh (plane, cirlce, ...) and press NKey, properties says size=1.0 but the mesh does not have this size in blender unit, a plane have a width and a height = 2.0, a circle have diameter of 2,83
I change to have for a plane, cube a width height=1 and for circle,tube, cone, cylinder and UVSphere a diameter of 1 so when you play with size, you scale exactly the number you typed.

Download:
7zip 2.2MB
zip 2.9MB
Last edited by lguillaume on Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElBarto

Post by ElBarto »

SizeX,Y,Z means ScaleX,Y,Z and that is one of the oldest usability mistakes in Blender. I remarked it too but as many time "Its not a bug, its a feature" :)

Anyway renaming it to Scale would be the right way (the key S is explained for "Scale" and not as "Size").

Thanks for the new built.
Karamba!
Bart.

http://www.area42.de/

Blender Feature Proposal:
http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/

lguillaume

Post by lguillaume »

Hello ElBarto, I know for scale, if we change all size by scale the problem is the same, a circle of a diameter of 2.8 blender units is hard to use if you want exactly a diameter, with this, the circle created have a diameter of 1 blender unit so if you want a circle of diameter 5.4 you only have to scale to 5.4

Actually to do this you have to spin a vertice, hard to a beginner.

ElBarto

Post by ElBarto »

In my understandment (based on the knowledge of various 3d technologies and 3d software) the size depends on units but not the scaling.
A object can have the radius or lenght of 5.34, which means 5.34 units, but nevertheless the scaling factor is 1. Scaling is independent of units, it is just a factor. Size gives you the dimension of the created object (or maybe the edited mesh) and Scale is just a modification factor.
This model is working on VRML/X3D too.
Karamba!
Bart.

http://www.area42.de/

Blender Feature Proposal:
http://www.neeneenee.de/blender/features/

mfoxdogg

Post by mfoxdogg »

HI fellas great build, the 'white out' effect of renders is caused by something in the Ambient Occlusion

Please Fix it :D
I reject reality and substitute my own!!

Rickyx

Re: BF Windows 2006/03/26

Post by Rickyx »

Finally... great built. I agree that is important the absolute diameter!

Anyway, if it won't become the standard remember the formula

r2=r1 cos alfa

where alfa = 360/2 *number of sides of the poligon

Ciao,
Ricky

Digital FX Artist

Size and Scaling in Maya and Blender

Post by Digital FX Artist »

Hi guys,

I have looked at both blender an maya. In maya when you create an object it is a unit of 1 in width, height and depth. This means if you create a cube and a cylinder, the cube and the cylinder will be the exact same width, height and depth, they will match exactly. In blender this doesn't happen. If you have correctedly this, congrats.
Digital FX Artist

Digital FX Artist

Size and Scaling in Maya and Blender

Post by Digital FX Artist »

Hi guys,

I have looked at both blender an maya. In maya when you create an object it is a unit of 1 in width, height and depth. This means if you create a cube and a cylinder, the cube and the cylinder will be the exact same width, height and depth, they will match exactly. In blender this doesn't happen. If you have correctedly this, congrats.
Digital FX Artist