Institute for open 3D projects
In 2007 Blender Foundation chairman Ton Roosendaal established the “Blender Institute” following the overwhelming success of “Elephants Dream”,the world’s first open movie project. This is now the permanent office and studio to more efficiently organize the Blender Foundation goals, but especially to coordinate and facilitate Open Projects related to 3D movies, games or visual effects.
The institute consists of:
A permanent team of about 3-5 people, producers and project coordinators, an administrator and Blender developers.
This team will also work on Foundation blender.org projects.
Blender Institute has a fully equipped project space to host a team of 8-12 people. The studio will be available for artists and developers to work on Blender projects.
Open Projects Business
The term “open project” means that the end result and creation process will be published under an open license, free for everyone to redistribute, reuse, remix or publish. Typically we’ll use the Creative Commons (attribution required) license for it.
Open projects (at least the parts created by the Blender Institute) will be created using free and open source software.
Since we don’t claim income from licensing or royalty, each project has to get financed in advance. A combination of these four different components can be used:
- Blender Cloud, an innovative subscription based crowd funding platform. This is currently the main income for Blender Institute.
- Blender Foundation grants, blender.org campaigns, donations, etc.
- Subsidy (Culture funds, EU, Government…). This reflects the public benefit side of projects we do.
- Workshops, training, seminars, documentation (books). Education is an important market for free and open projects.
- Corporate sponsoring, commercial jobs, and income from third party cooperation. Companies can enjoy the immediate benefits of having rights-free content.
These are the core components of the business model of the Institute, and the proposed business model for marketing open content.
Blender Institute BV
1018 AD Amsterdam
Director: Ton Roosendaal
Administration: Anja Vugts-Verstappen
Chamber of Commerce: 34276786
Tax (VAT/BTW): NL 8181.52.011.B01
Bank: ING Bank
1102 BW Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Account #: 52 96 212
IBAN: NL22 INGB 0005296212
BIC/Swift code: INGB NL2A
In the past 7 years, we’ve realized five open projects. Currently we are realizing the 6th project, nicknamed “Gooseberry”, with the aim of bringing together studios and teams to create a feature animation film.
In July 2015 released the Pilot for the film – COSMOS LAUNDROMAT.
Blender Animation Studios
Agent 327: Manhattan File will be the first official Blender Animation Studios production, aimed at commercial distribution.
This project is currently in early development.