bf-blender / Windows 2.40 RC1 (2005/11/28) RC BUILD

User-contributed CVS development builds. Please test and give feedback!

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

tv

Post by tv » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:02 pm

will the final (released) source be patchable with the baker patch?

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:31 pm

bjornmose,
Thanks for the clarification. several hours after posting I figured it out. And thanks for the tip on the sticky selection modifiers. Works as expected now! :)
This is no bug .. though a little hard to understand. Where ever faces meet there is not only one UV "vertex'" but one for every face. Obviously you did not pin them all and you are sometimes trying to pull a unpinned UV. So if you did not pin and select all of them LSCM will happily put 'em back where it thinks is the best place. In fact this feels like not beeing able to move the vertex.
Note : There are some selection modifiers in menu to make sure you get all the UVs you want. Just for all of you who wondered what that "sticky" select options are for Smile

BM

blazer003

Post by blazer003 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:10 pm

When border select is activated (either box select or cursor select), alt+select doesn't deselect vertices. Bug, or new way of doing things?

Burre

Post by Burre » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:46 pm

blazer003 wrote:When border select is activated (either box select or cursor select), alt+select doesn't deselect vertices. Bug, or new way of doing things?
Works for me.

Howitzer

Post by Howitzer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:39 pm

I just wanted to let people know that the fur still has a problem. Ton has already looked at it, but I felt you should know.

(Yes, the error is also now present in 2.40 RC1)

There is a test file on the page as well.

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/ind ... 9&atid=125

Pictures:

With the artifacts
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/ ... ifacts.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/ ... s-thin.jpg

Without the artifacts (earlier builds)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/ ... ifacts.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v186/ ... s-thin.jpg

A quick fix is to simply use buffer shadows on fur instead of raytrace. This may be preferable anyway, as it is faster.

If you need raytrace features such as reflection and refraction (or multiple light types other than spot), a good idea is to simply disable raytracing on the material emitting fur, then use a spotlight set to shadow only to give it a shadow- be sure to disable any other material's shadow buffer (shadowbuf) or you will find they will have two seperate shadows- one raytrace and one shadow buffer.

Auteuro

Post by Auteuro » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:26 am

bmud wrote:I couldn't find a "live LSCM" feature anywhere in the new feature docs, the wiki, or just browsing around in this test build. What should I be looking for?
Here's something from the Orange site:
http://orange.blender.org/blog/live-lscm-unwrap

blazer003

Post by blazer003 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:22 am

Burre wrote:
blazer003 wrote:When border select is activated (either box select or cursor select), alt+select doesn't deselect vertices. Bug, or new way of doing things?
Works for me.
Ok, I deleted my b.blend file and it worked. Don't know why that caused it, but thanks for the feedback.

DanielSefton

Post by DanielSefton » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:59 am

Apologies if this has already been posted, but it's really annoying me... very hard to explain, so please bear with me.

When moving UV's, it doesn't update it live. So for example, as you are moving the UV's around it stays static on the model and only updates when you place them... I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but it's so tedious when you have to constantly click to get the UV's in the right place, whereas on the stable version it updates it live.

I hope you get what I am trying to say...

From DanielSefton
www.danielsefton.com - My CV website with tools, resources, tutorials, my work and more! || Check out some of my 3D work with Blender here.

DanielSefton

Post by DanielSefton » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:00 pm

Apologies if this has already been posted, but it's really annoying me... very hard to explain, so please bear with me.

When moving UV's, it doesn't update it live. So for example, as you are moving the UV's around it stays static on the model and only updates when you place them... I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but it's so tedious when you have to constantly click to get the UV's in the right place, whereas on the stable version it updates it live.

I hope you get what I am trying to say...

From DanielSefton
www.danielsefton.com - My CV website with tools, resources, tutorials, my work and more! || Check out some of my 3D work with Blender here.

PiotrKosmala

Post by PiotrKosmala » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:42 pm

Radiance export is not good way to render a float point stuff, OpenExr exporting is much better (alpha, zbuffer, more applications etc), PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE THINK ABOUT IT ;)

bmud

Post by bmud » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:39 pm

Auteuro wrote:Here's something from the Orange site:
http://orange.blender.org/blog/live-lscm-unwrap
Holy Carp that's amazing. As for the 3dsmax that someone posted on the orange site, I guess good for them finally realizing that for years their UV mapping window sucked arse...
Theeth wrote:The vertex color to uv image baker you mean? It didn't. Not enough testing and code review (the code is a bit shaky).
Theeeth! Nooo! I'm really looking forward to that tool! Regardless of how soon the new game engines will be released, I'm aching for that tool like nobody's buisness. Seek help if you're having trouble with the code.
Radiance export is not good way to render a float point stuff ...
Having to export to radiance alone is annoying. And then there's that whole "you have to have a copy of AutoCAD for it to work" thing. That's a totally different can of worms :P

dgebel

Post by dgebel » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:41 am

MikeMLP wrote:I definately think that some of the behavior of the old loop cut system is better than the new.

Ctrl R-> left click. Now look at the info bar. Percentage is listed as a value between -1.000000 and 1.000000. It seems to make a lot more sense to have this look and act like the old system (2.37a), where the percentage is between 0% and 100%.

Also, holding Ctrl on the new system causes it to snap to the eqivalent of 5% snaps. holding shift results in the same sort of behavior as the old system, but holding both control and shift together is now the same as holding just shift. It would make a lot more sense for this to work like the old system, where holding Ctrl snaps to 10% intervals and holding Ctrl and shift together snaps to 1% intervals.

The old system also showed (s) for smooth, (f) for flip side, and (p) for proportional in the info bar. I already know these combos, but new users will have no way of knowing of these functions. They could always look it up, but why remove it when it was there and helpful before?

I realize that this is really nitpicking, but there is always room for improvement. Does anyone have an opinion on this?
I don't feel its nitpicking - changing the snapping modifiers for example is not a good idea. I depended on having different snapping levels like that.

Also, I don't get it... what happened to all the vertex & loop selection tools? We finally get the tools people have been begging for... and then they go away again? Was there some problem with them? I loved FINALLY having a vertex loop select!

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:45 am

They are still there but they are 'unified' now. Alt RMB will select a vertex/edge/face loop based on whether you are in vert/edge/face mode.

LetterRip

jason.s

Post by jason.s » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:14 am

LetterRip wrote:They are still there but they are 'unified' now. Alt RMB will select a vertex/edge/face loop based on whether you are in vert/edge/face mode.
I think this "mode" needs to be more clear. The best thing would be to have a light color change on the loop when hovering over it with Alt held down.
Formerly Blendorphin/blenergetic

cjacob_7

Busted Undo

Post by cjacob_7 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:53 am

I dont know what the problem is, but the undo function takes forever, esspecially when working with keyframes.

thanks
cjacob_7